Normally I don't blog, but this is for a worthy cause so I guess I'll give it a go. It's called Speak Out with Your Geek Out. If you haven't heard of it yet follow this link. http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=190025581068159
Honestly, I'm not sure how to narrow down my plethora of Geeky hobbies into one concise blog post. I've been a Geek since birth and my interests reflect that exactly. The first movie I saw in a theater was The Empire Strikes Back. I couldn't have been more than four years old at the time, but the experience had a huge impact on my taste in entertainment. By the time I was eleven I had discovered Issac Asimov's novels and short stories. Caves of Steele, The Naked Sun, The Robots of the Dawn, and Robots and Empire are still some of my all time favorite books. Around that same time I also saw the first Dune movie and was hooked on that series. I have to admit the Scifi Channel did a better job with it. If you haven't seen their version of Dune stop reading this and go get it, you don't know what you're missing!
In high school my interests stayed mostly in the realm of books and movies. Right after graduation I discovered the wonders of an RP game called Role Master and that would become my main hobby for the next few years. It was like getting to make up an ongoing story with all of my coolest (geekiest) and most creative friends. I even painted the little pewter figurines so we could do battle lay outs. I think that's also how I got into the Dragonlance series by Margret Weiss and Tracey Hickman. I recently learned it's been made into an animated movie! Awesome.
By my twenties I had married an amazing man who expanded my geeky hobbies to include graphic novels, anime, and collecting action figures, in my case mostly Spawn. We haven't bought any new ones in years, but our bedroom walls are decorated with all of the ones that we kept in the box. In my late twenties/early thirties I got into poetry writing. I really didn't keep much of what I wrote, which is too bad really. I wasn't brilliant or anything so no worries, you're not missing much. Still this leads me to my most recent geek obsession, SciFaiku. SciFaiku allows me to combine two of my favorite hobbies, poetry and science fiction, in a way I had not thought of before. It's one of those random things I ran into one day on the internet and fell in love! It doesn't follow the Haiku rhythm strictly, but it does follow a three line rule.
My favorite SciFaiku writer is a guy named Tom Brink. Here is a link to his work. http://www.scifaiku.com/read/tom/ I highly recommend giving it a try. The pictures he paints in three lines are amazing! Here's one of my favorites:
lifeless planet
a scarecrow planted by
missing terraformers
Or, if you're in the mood for something a bit more surrreal:
wedging a lever
against the galaxy,
and buying time
I've written a few myself, but I just don't have Tom's talent. This is one that was inspired by a science documentary where I watched a scientist make clouds in a glass enclosure in her lab:
Postmodern goddess
alone in her lab
making rainclouds in a jar
And that's it, my contribution to speak out with your geek out.
No comments:
Post a Comment